Policies » Section E: Support Services » EEAE: School Bus Safety Program
Policy Date: 01/21/2020Download Policy Now
HSD File: EEAE
HOOKSETT SCHOOL DISTRICT
SCHOOL BUS SAFETY PROGRAM
The safety and welfare of student riders will be the first consideration in all matters pertaining to transportation. Safety precautions will include the following:
1. Students will be instructed as to the proper procedure for boarding and exiting from a school bus and in appropriate and safe conduct while riding.
2. Emergency drills will be conducted at least two times a year, October through May, to acquaint student riders with procedures in emergency situations.
3. All vehicles used to transport children will be inspected on a regular schedule to see that they meet safety regulations.
4. All drivers will be screened before employment for physical condition, proper license, and experience. The prior driving record of each driver will be checked for drug and alcohol or other convictions and a criminal records check must also be completed.
5. The board authorizes use of video and/or audio surveillance on school buses to ensure the health, welfare, and safety of all students while riding on school buses. Use of such surveillance will be in accordance with policy ECAF, Audio and Video Surveillance on School Buses.
The transportation provider will comply with all state laws and regulations pertaining to the operation of school buses and will make these requirements known to bus drivers. It will also cooperate with local safety officials in formulating and accomplishing its school bus safety program.
20 U.S.C. §1232g, Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, RSA 189:6-a, School Bus Safety
RSA 570-A:2, Interception and Disclosure of Telecommunication or Oral Communications Prohibited
Adopted: December 15, 1998
Revised: February 3, 2009
Reviewed: January 21, 2020